Transaction Net Communications
Enhancing Productivity by Harnessing Pride of Ownership:
Contributor-Owned Enterprises, Employee-Owned Businesses, Stock Incentives, and Cooperatives
We at Transaction Net are committed to the development of innovative non-adversarial business models, and to all informed exchanges. Because companies thrive when the people in them can unify around a common mission, and people thrive when their efforts are justly rewarded, we're building this directory to shed light on issues surrounding contributor-owned enterprises.
The Transaction Net site is an independent, open, evolving forum where everyone is welcome to explore new economic media, so if you know of another site that deserves attention, please let us know.
- An extensive list of resources pertaining to Locally Owned and Operated businesses and political systems.
- Employee Ownership section of the WWW Cooperative Resources directory
- Cooperative Business mailing list archives
- Small Business Resources from the Michigan Electronic Library
- Professional Resources
- Cooperatives and Nonprofits on the Net
- the ICA's Useful Business Information directory
- Some Business Ownership resources
Performance Stats and Studies
- ESOPs, Employee Ownership and Corporate Performance
- Employee-owners at Avis doubled the value of their stock.
- The Chicago-Kent Law Review published this abstract of a lecture In Defense of Employee Ownership.
- "Employee Ownership and the High-Performance Workplace"
- The Foundation for Enterprise Development presents these Case Studies and Company Profiles of businesses with equity incentives, including "best practice" reports from the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of the American Workplace.
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- Cooperative Initiative Panel
- Foundation for Enterprise Development
- The University of Wisconsin's Center for Cooperatives
- the ESOP Association
- American Capital Strategies is an investment bank funding ESOPs and employee buyouts.
- the ESOP Association of Hungary
- The Worker-Ownership Institute helps employee-owned companies educate each other.
- Ownership Associates, Inc. offers its Ownership Culture Survey service to prospective employee-owned businesses.
- the National Association for the Self-Employed
- the ICA Group
- National Cooperative Bank
- The International Cooperative Alliance site offers pages in four languages, including English.
Media Reports and Presentations
- Several issues of In Context (a journal on sustainable culture) have addressed "living business", "sustainability", and
"business on a small planet", featuring several relevant articles, including:
- "Ownership Matters", according to a report on privatization of state-owned enterprises.
- "Privatization Incidence, Ownership Forms and Firm Performance: Evidence from Slovenia"
- Two dismissive views on the UAL buyout, one from each pole of the traditional political-economic spectrum:
- Cultivating Entrepreneurs in Rural America
- Employee-Owned Enterprise in Manitoba
- The European Commission on Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises recommends employee buyouts
- The tax implications (in the U.S.) of employee ownership
- Why this CEO loves Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs)
- The Emma Goldman Housing Co-op provides this Introduction to the Cooperative Movement
- The Jerusalem Post covered MK Yehuda Harel's efforts to transform the kibbutz ideal.
- A Co-op Primer
- the Cooperative Initiative Panel's publications
Can you recommend other resources?